Moss hung oaks and grand southern homes rich in history line the streets of the Historic Landmark District in Beaufort, SC.. One of the finest and most notable homes is the Milton Maxcy House also referred to as Secession House. The home was originally built by Milton Maxcy, circa 1810, as a school for boys. In the 1840's Edmund Rhett, brother of U.S. Senator Robert Barnwell Rhett purchased the home. The first meeting in favor of secession from the Union took place in the Milton Maxcy Home. During the Civil War, the home served many purposes from officers' quarters, a hospital and as a Pay Master's Station for Union Troops. Edmund Rhett completely remodeled the home in a Greek Revival architectural style.
The data relating to real estate for sale on this web site comes in part from the Internet Data Exchange Program of this Area MLS®. The broker providing the data believes them to be correct, but advises interested parties to confirm them before relying on them in a purchase decision. We do not attempt to independently verify the currency, completeness, accuracy or authenticity of the data contained herein. It may be subject to transcription and transmission errors. Accordingly, the data is provided on an as is as available basis only and may not reflect all real estate activity in the market.